Wednesday, 22 February 2012

Robots from Japan

Here is a list of robots which are invented by the Japanese.

The world's most advanced humanoid robot from Honda.
http://asimo.honda.com/

The entertainment robot from Sony.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vwZ5FQEUFg

Robotic seals comforting the sick and elderly
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11459745

HRP-4C a humanoid Robot that sings
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_migLQ802Go

2 comments:

  1. For some reason I am not able to make my own post so I am just replying to Yutaka's. A follow up on today's discussion on man vs. machine, I read about the latest in web analytics, a software called CrowdControl which aims to analyze "sentiments" behind social media content. It's been developed mainly for the workplace for employers to "decide which workers are lying, which workers are telling the truth, and which ones are good workers".

    While I see the utility of something like this for marketers who want to gauge the moods of their customers, I find its application in the workplace a bit creepy and intrusive. Even the name of the software evokes some kind of Orwellian 1984 feeling. Both amazing and scary that software is actually able to gauge human sentiment now, which further validates what we discussed as robots replacing real people as "friends". I already see evidence of that in my family, as my brother-in-law and sister constantly interact with iPhone's Siri like she's one of the family now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget the (way more commercial) american robots. This one is my mom's best friend (really!)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLIPLiQDIk0

    And of course, we cannot talk on this blog without mentioning Google, so here we go:
    http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/google-aims-to-bridge-android-cloud-computing-with-robotics/48693
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9Fxp3HK6DI

    Actually Google's vision of a 'cloud computing' enabled Robot apparently makes a lot of sense. The computing power required to make a robot work, quickly drains it battery, so shifting this to the cloud might be the big next thing in Robotics

    ReplyDelete