Following on our in class discussion about Mimi's situation and the ease with which the Canadian kissing couple was identified, I wanted to share two articles I read recently about the increasing difficulty of managing your image online.
Face Recognition: In The Future Can You Remain Anonymous?
I think this article is particularly interesting because of the regulation discussions that are currently being had regarding what defines a customer "opt-in".
Google Moves Social Search Forward
Regarding Google's new search algorithm, I am surprised that they are taking such a overt approach to social search. Furthermore, I think the public's concern regarding privacy will outweigh the potential benefits that Google claims from this new Search Plus. I think one of the benefits of Google is that it aggregates across multiple networks of sites but in this case they are limiting that effect by prioritizing their own sites and networks. Ultimately I think this move will hurt the growth of Google+ as those of us looking to manage our online identities are unlikely to create a profile on a platform that doesn't let us opt out of having that information pushed to other users who we may not want seeing our information.
Face Recognition: In The Future Can You Remain Anonymous?
I think this article is particularly interesting because of the regulation discussions that are currently being had regarding what defines a customer "opt-in".
Google Moves Social Search Forward
Regarding Google's new search algorithm, I am surprised that they are taking such a overt approach to social search. Furthermore, I think the public's concern regarding privacy will outweigh the potential benefits that Google claims from this new Search Plus. I think one of the benefits of Google is that it aggregates across multiple networks of sites but in this case they are limiting that effect by prioritizing their own sites and networks. Ultimately I think this move will hurt the growth of Google+ as those of us looking to manage our online identities are unlikely to create a profile on a platform that doesn't let us opt out of having that information pushed to other users who we may not want seeing our information.
No comments:
Post a Comment